Sunday, January 6, 2013

To Tweet or Not to Tweet. There is No Question!


I like Twitter. I like it a lot.

I created a Twitter account over a year ago, and have to admit that I signed up not really knowing what it was about. For a long time never used it. I used Facebook quite a bit over the past few years to be social online, but Twitter had never really made my radar.

Why Jayson, you may (or may not) be asking, wouldn't you be more involved in this magical world called the "Twitterverse" by the "Tweeple" who inhabit it?

The Boring Back Story
Well, I wasn't sure I needed another social outlet to obsess over, and I'm sure my wife felt the same way. (There was an unholy obsession with “Mafia Wars” for a time, and I am sorry to say there was too much time spent collecting “friends” I had never met who shared my passion for pretend criminal activity.)

Thank heavens I resisted the temptation of Farmville.

Flash forward to November 2012. I was asked to write a guest blog post for the Simpson College Music Department's web page, and I happily obliged. I enjoyed doing it and received positive feedback. That experience led me to begin my own blog (you're reading it now!), and like any good, technologically savvy American, I did research about how best to write a blog, how to get it out to the masses to read and how to get ideas about which to write. It was clear after some poking around that Twitter was a social networking medium that had a track record of providing just these benefits.

I took the plunge just before Thanksgiving 2012, and as of early January 2013, I can honestly say that, yep, Twitter is awesome.

How I Use Twitter...
… may not be how you might use it. I know of many (most often) younger people who use it to create a running diary of their life or use it as a way to dialogue with friends. As a professional and educator, this use for twitter is of no interest to me.

In my view, Twitter is the single best way for me to harness the power of the internet for professional development.

You will easily find thousands and thousands of people using Twitter for this very same purpose, and there are many free resources online that will help you understand how easy it is to get to these people.

My blog, Being Better Today, focuses on personal development. I have found hundreds of people on Twitter willing to share links they have found, quotes, ideas and blogs about this topic. Can I read everything? Of course not. But among the many links thrown my way daily, there are always one or two that grab my attention and get read. I'm learning... and growing... and sharing... and helping.

I am a professional music educator. On Twitter, there are many more hundreds of music educators, music organizations, school principals, district superintendents and curriculum wonks I follow (and who are kind enough to follow me) from around the world. These folks share their online finds and personal knowledge to anyone who cares to read it. It is truly fantastic! My Twitter feed is full of expert thoughts on music technology, teaching pedagogy, educational research and more. Truly passionate teachers contribute to their Twitter following, and I'm proud to be a part of that company!

To Tweet is to participate personally in a global conversation. How do YOU use Twitter? In my best teacher voice, “Please share with the group.”

Oh, and if you'd like to follow me, the link is on the right. I'd love to learn with you!

My favorite Twitter hashtags:
#personaldevelopment
#motivation
#inspiration
#musedchat
#edchat

Short list of my favorite Tweeple to follow if you're just getting started:
@LollyDaskal (leadership, self improvement)
@MichaelHyatt (leadership)
@Scott_Watson (music education)
@AngelaMaiers (leadership, education)
@pisanojm (education and technology)
@mcleod (education)
@garyloper (using twitter, inspiration)

No comments:

Post a Comment