Wednesday, November 28, 2012

What 5th Grade Band Taught Me

Just about 2 hours ago as I write this, I came home from my oldest daughter's first ever elementary band concert. I was sitting in the middle of the second row and brimming with pride as my daughter played a little horn solo on "Jingle Bells." Listening to the concert, I was transported back to another time in my life, a long time ago...

The year was 1983. I was seated in the back row of the Winona, Minnesota Public Schools all city 5th Grade Band Concert. In front of me was a tuba mounted in a metal support stand, my lesson book, and about 100 other nervous ten year olds.

My first band concert etched itself into my memory for a few reasons. To begin with, it was the first time I was on stage performing for anybody. Second, there was a trip to Dairy Queen afterward, and I remembered most of those growing up. Third, and probably most importantly, I could barely read or keep up with the music.

I still remember the sounds we made that night, especially the group's performance of "At Perrot's Door," a.k.a "Grandfather Clock." The band was playing in unison (mostly) with the sole tuba player (me) in the back improvising and riffing on a theme that loosely resembled that which the rest of the band was playing. It sounded goooooood (to my 10 year old ears). That concert for me was the embodiment of the phrase "fake it till you make it." Looking back, I don't know how the heck I made it off the stage without being horse collared by my band director and asked to turn in my mouthpiece. Boy, was he patient!

Flash forward again to November, 2012. I arrived to the concert just in the nick of time because just 30 minutes before, I was teaching some of my own tuba students. You see, now I am that band director who refrains from asking students to turn in their mouthpieces (sometimes with a GREAT deal of self control) and I am also that private lesson teacher who helps some of the rhythmically challenged low brass players in my area count and play to their best ability. Not only that, but I also have the privilege of helping my daughter with the horn when I can.

Here's what I learned from tying these two experiences together: A person's life could very well be changed by your simple interactions with them. My fifth grade band director could have easily suggested to my parents that I give up the tuba. Because he didn't, I was given an opportunity to grow in music to the point where I am now a teacher effecting the lives of hundreds of young people in a (hopefully) positive way. My world could have very different were it not for the patience of my first band director. So as you begin each morning, remember that that could very well be the day that a life changes course positively because of you.



No comments:

Post a Comment